1) Who should consider breast augmentation surgery?
- Women who have very small breasts or those who feel that the size of their breasts is inadequate.
- To increase breast volume and fullness that is lost after pregnancy, weight loss or due to age.
- Breast enhancement also forms a part of sex-change surgery for males or after a mastectomy or breast removal surgery.
However, decision was usually made after discussion with the plastic surgeon.
2) What are the factors in determining the kind of implants required? What are the implants available and recommended?
- Current breast volume and shape
- Desired size and shape
- Base diameter of each breast
- Tissue laxity of the breast envelope
- Degree of ptosis
- Skeletal abnormalities
- Measurement of sternal notch to nipple
- Measurement of midline to nipple
- Measurement of nipple to infra-mammary fold
- Location of prospective access incisions
In Taiwan, there are currently two main brands available: Mentor and Allegan.
3) What is the downtime for surgery and after that?
This depends on the operative method that you are going to take. Generally, this is an outpatient surgery. You don’t need to be hospitalized after the surgery. It is possible for patients to have an immediate fast-track recovery with resumption of light activities of daily living within 24 hours. The bandage and suture lines may be removed for about 1 week to 2 weeks after surgery. Usually, patients are advised to refrain from exercise of heavy lifting for a minimum of two weeks after surgery. There’s one thing need to be mentioned. For smooth-shelled implants, daily massage is recommended postoperatively at three weeks to facilitate in keeping the breast capsules soft and involve the patient in her own care.
4) How long should special care be taken? Food and activities to avoid?
Avoid tobacco and caffeine, which may cause poor wound healing. Avoid alcohol that may cause wound bleeding. Finally, don’t stay up late that may disturb you immune system.
5) How should we take care of the wound after surgery? change dressing? medication? massage? underwired bra? Any follow up reviews required?
- Dressing change: usually the wound was covered with sterile 3M tape. There’s no need for dressing change.
- Medication: oral antibiotics and medications will be fine.
- Massage: For smooth-shelled implants, daily massage is recommended postoperatively at three weeks to facilitate in keeping the breast capsules soft and involve the patient in her own care. Usually 3 to 6 months massage was advised. However, for textured implants, only gentle massage was suggested.
- With 1st month after operation: please don’t wear bra.
- 1st month to 3rd month: you may wear sports bra.
- Initially, you may wear rims bra 3rd months after the operation.
- Follow-up review: 1 week, 1 month, 3 months and 6 months would be adequate.
6) How long would it take for the breast to look more natural? How long could a breast implant last?
The breast will be more natural after swelling subsided. It generally takes 2 weeks. Without complication, the implant may last for life.
7) What are some of the possible complications involved in breast augmentation surgery?
- Hematoma (0.5 – 3%)
- Infection (0.09 – 2.2%)
- Alterations in breast sensation (15%)
- Galactorrhea (<1 %)
- Pneumothorax (rare)
- Capsular contracture (3 – 30%)
- Implant rupture (0.5 – 3.3%)
- Wrinkling (<1 – 20.8%)
8) Would it affect mothers who would want to breastfeed? Would the breast shape change for future pregnancy?
Breast feeding: if the glandular tissue and nipple was not involved during the operation (incision nor reduction), breastfeeding is possible after augmentation surgery.
9) How much does it costs?
The breast augmentation costs TWD190,000~ TWD220,000 (depending on various materials and surgery design)
Online Reservation: http://www.acme-clinic.com/reserve.php
Open：Mon.~Fri. 12pm~9pm, Sat. 11am~8pm
Add: 5F., No.96, NanJing E. Rd., Sec. 2, Taipei, Taiwan
(MRT SongJiang NanJing Station, Exit 1, walking by 1 minute)